Friday, February 1, 2013

Grieving... March 2007

This was written during a traumatic break up- in an effort to help me work through things... I should probably read through it AGAIN just for posterity sake. 



Five stages of grief…

Grieving isn't only for those who have lost a loved one, it is not only in regards to death- there are many reasons one may grieve.  Yes, death is a big one- but grief can be felt because of any type of loss~~ losing a job, your home being invaded and your possessions being taken, the end of a relationship.. these are just a few things that can also cause a person to go thru the five stages of grief.  

How do we deal w/grief and the events that lead up to it?? People deal in many different ways, but there are typically five stages that all will go thru (how they handle these stages differs as widely as personalities do…) These stages don’t happen in a 1-2-3 order, they can pretty much be mixed up especially 2-4.  Sometimes they’re hard to discern,  the anger and depression in particular- it might be hard to realize what stage a person is at.  There is no set time limit on these stages either UNFORTUNATELY !! No way to tell when they will start or even worse, when they will end. 

If you’re a person who loves someone dealing with these stages, don’t be surprised to be hurt as well!!! Often times the person grieving is going to be wrapped up in their own feelings and sometimes not able to respond to the love you are offering- and they may not be able to show you love either.  (now some people will require more attention during these phases but again, we each deal differently.

What are the five stages of grief? Most psychologists will follow the following guidelines…
  • Denial (this isn't happening to me!)
In this stage of grief the person experiencing it may refuse to believe the loss has happened… may feel like it’s all surreal… sometimes it takes a while before this feeling sinks in, and sometimes it takes a while for it to go away…
  • Anger (why is this happening to me?)
WOW, this one is a biggie… some will get stuck in this mode… they’ll be mad at      God, mad at their friends, hurtful to those who love them the most- while they try to work thru the anger.  Sometimes this anger destroys families, homes, and relationships.  This is the most volatile of all the stages of grieving.
  • Bargaining (I promise I'll be a better person if...)
This stage may or may not be experienced… sometimes it’s “if he’ll only come back I’ll be… “ or “if they’ll give me a 2nd chance I can do…..” (you fill in the blanks w/your own situation) Sometimes this stage is skipped- it doesn't always apply to the situation that caused the grieving…
  • Depression (I don't care anymore)
Although not always as volatile as ANGER, this phase of grieving can be dangerous. During this phase a person can isolate themselves even more.  They will put aside all that makes them happy and focus on the situation at hand, be consumed by it almost.  Depression can (just as anger can) destroy relationships, jobs, homes, friendships… sometimes Anger and Depression occur at the same time- sometimes they are experienced separately… depending on the person, they may experience Anger first, then depression or vice-versa. 
  • Acceptance (I'm ready for whatever comes)
Regardless of how the other stages of grieving are played out the final stage is Acceptance… during this stage the person suffering the loss realizes… “I’m gonna be ok…no matter what I am going to be ok.”  They may realize the events leading up to this are totally out of their control, and all they can do is move forward- learn from their loss and make the best of the future.  Sometimes it takes quite a while to reach this stage, but eventually they will… and if those around them have not been run off by the ANGER and DEPRESSION, they’ll still be there arms open and loving them just the same…

     
These are things I have learned on my own thru out the years and during a particularly trying time right now, I have no degree in psychology (although I do have a couple courses on my transcript…) These are just life lessons… hopefully they can help someone else… (I had to go back thru and read these stages myself to help me understand a situation I’m involved in a little bit clearer- so I decided to blog about it while it was fresh on my mind…
            

No comments:

Post a Comment